Viral Math 6 Milestone’s Challenges and Information

Math Challenge:  April 13, 2020

Good Morning Thrill Seekers:  Math Challenge 3/30/2020

Kirk Thomas was the first to answer correctly last Thursday, can you beat him this week?

Thursday, March 26, 2020:  Daily Math Challenge

Kirk Thomas was the first student to text me the correct answer to yesterday’s math challenge puzzle!  Can you solve today’s puzzle!  Beware Order of Operations!!!!!

BabyYoda_03.jpg

Wednesday, March 25, 2020:  Daily Math Challenge

These will count for extra credit upon returning to school.  When you complete the challenge, text or e-mail me your response with your name.

Let me know when you are sure you have it!  I have had a few winners so far….not enough of you are trying!

*************************************************************

Tuesday, March 24, 2020:  Daily Math Challenge

Image result for daily challenge cartoon

When you have the answer, send it to me with your name through a text,  an e-mail or a post to the homepage.  To post to the homepage, find the assignment and click on the link in the bottom right corner that says “leave a comment”.

baseball mash up

Friday, March 20, 2020:  Unit 6 Parent Letter

Families and Students:   This parent letter is to cover Unit #6.  If I can assist you with anything in the letter or as we travel through the unit, please let me know!  Take care and be safe.  Hope to see you soon.

Unit 6 Parent Letter

Image result for This is how we do it

Wednesday, March 18, 2020:  Math Challenge

Post your answer to the comment section on the homepage – can you be first to answer correctly?

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT FOR MICKUS/GRINDSTAFF MATH STUDENTS:

We have not assigned anything on Freckle for your students at this time.  When we do, there will be login instructions attached to the post.  This resource has been experiencing difficulties so we are going to go with what we know works right now.  Please follow the daily assignments on the blog to appropriately keep up with math class.

Welcome to Viral Math 2020!

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENTS WILL BE POSTED ON THIS PAGE!

PLEASE CHECK THE MATH RESOURCE PAGE FOR DAILY LESSONS AND FEEL FREE TO LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED HELP.

************************************************************************

Welcome back from winter break – you were all missed!  Can we interest you in a little bit of geometry sixth grade?

Week of  3/2/2020 – 3/6/2020

Monday:  Notes area

Tuesday:  Classwork Activity:  working with manipulatives (area)  Surface Area

Wednesday:  Notes/lesson geometry/Surface Area

Thursday:  Working with nets/shapes Activity/Review

Friday:  Test Geometry and RACES writing assignment

Welcome to the Pine Mountain Math 6:  Version 2020

Welcome to the week before winter break!!!

This is what my husband and I were blessed with this morning from the porch of the cabin……hope you were able to enjoy some snow as well.

Please visit the resource page for the parent letter for the current unit as soon as possible to make sure you are aware of where we are going in math 6 and how you can help yourself or parents can help their students succeed in the upcoming unit of study.

Math Week of 2/10/2020

Monday:  Study Guide

Tuesday:  Study Guide

Wednesday:  Unit #4 Exam

Thursday:  Review

Friday:  Opening Activity Unit #5 (Happy Valentine’s Day)

Math Quiz Unit #4:  Direct Variation

Quiz will be on Friday, 2/7/2020

Study Guide on Thursday 2/6/2020

Be sure to have your students working on Dreambox Learning at least 10 minutes per day!

Homework is on USATestprep:  10 questions due 1/31/2020

10 questions due 2/7/2020

Math Quiz Unit #4:  Inequalities

The quiz will be on Monday, 1/27/2020

Study guide in class today, Friday, 1/24/2020

Please see resource page for extra study assistance and homework!

Happy Holidays Math Families

Week of December 16 – 20, 2019

Learning Target:

I can solve problems by applying knowledge of expressions, order of operations and combining like terms through completion of the Unit #3 study guide, pretest and unit test.

Monday, Dec. 16:  Study Guide and Pretest

Tuesday, Dec. 17:  Test

Wednesday, Dec. 18:  Test

Thursday, Dec. 19:  Review/Remediation

Friday, Dec. 20:  Review Remediation

Test Announcement:  Unit #3, Expressions, PEMDAS, Exponents

Students will be taking the unit test over Unit #3 on Tuesday, December 17.  They have been working on a study guide for the past 2 days and if they are doing as they should be in class and studying at home the test will be easy for them.  

HOMEWORK FOR THIS WEEK WILL BE DISTRIBUTED ON MONDAY, DECEMBER 2, 2019 AND WILL BE DUE ON WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 4, 2019 AT THE BEGINNING OF MATH CLASS.  YOU CAN LOCATE A PRINTABLE COPY IN THE RESOURCE SECTION OF THIS BLOG OR CAN DOWNLOAD FROM HERE:  Mickus Writing Expressions Homework Dec 1

Week of December 2, 2019:

Learning Target:  I can solve real world math problems by combining like terms through completion of class notes and hands on activities.

Monday, December 2, 2019:

Students in computer lab #1906 to take MI (Math Inventory) proficiency test.  Mustang 20 will be handed out in class and students will be able to work on homework if they complete the MI early.  Please encourage your student to take their time and do their best on this test, it is an indicator of basic skills and comprehension.

Tuesday, December 3, 2019:

SMI Test continuing in lab #1906.  Students not finished with the SMI at the end of this class period will be pulled to complete during another class period at some point in the next few days.

Wednesday, December 4, 2019:

Decide Model Activity.  Students may choose the level they wish to work.  This is a formative grade and no student will receive lower than a 70.

Thursday, December 5, 2019:

Combining Like Terms Notes

Friday, December 6, 2019:

Combining Like Terms:  Math Lab (Hands on Math)

Notebooks will not be graded this week.

Good Evening Math Students and Families,

We are still in need of pencils and calculators for your kiddos. If possible, please send them with a basic calculator and a pencil to school.

Learning Target: I can solve real-world problems involving exponents, the order of operations, and identifying expressions through the completion of in-class notes and by completing classwork activities and the quiz.

Students are working in Unit #3: Expressions, Equations

Activities for the Week: (Tentatively, based on student comprehension)
Monday, November 18,2019:

CAPS 5 (Basic skills check)
Notes: Evaluating Expressions

Tuesday, November 19th, 2019:

Classwork Activities
Order of Operation
Exponents
Expressions

Wednesday, November 2oth, 2019:

Students will report to computer lab #1901 for class

Touchstones Unit #1, Quiz 3 Number Sense

Thursday, November 21, 2019:

Quiz over Exponents, Expressions, Order of Operations

Friday: Review activity for Unit #3

Students are given time to complete graded assignments on USA Testprep on Wednesdays,
Assignments are posted each week and students are responsible for completion. If they do not have access to a computer outside of school, they need to take advantage of our Wednesday computer lab days. If your student falls behind, please let me know so there can be time set up for them at school.

Math with Mrs. Mickus Week of 11/11/2019:
Homework: Mustang 20 Review of MGSE.RP.1,2,3

Big 20 Math 6 November 11 (1)

Monday:
Learning Target: I can solve real-world problems involving ratio/percentages and unit rates through the completion of the Unit #2 Final and by making test corrections on my own.
– Distribute Mustang 20 Homework for the week
Students have one class period to work on test corrections. They may take home to complete this evening, but they are due back on ‘

Tuesday:
Learning Target: I can represent repeated multiplication by using exponents and through guided notes activity and in-class practice.
-Notes on Exponents
-Exponents Practice

Wednesday:
I can evaluate expressions containing exponents by solving mathematical and real-world problems through in-class activity with a partner.
– In Class: CAPS #5 activate prior knowledge (basic skills quiz)
– Exponent Problems Practice

Thursday:
I can evaluate expressions containing exponents by solving mathematical and real-world problems through in-class activity.
– Class Activities: CAPS: 5 (Basic skills quiz, activate prior knowledge)
-UTP Activity – Due 11/17/2019
-Work problems in class.

Friday:
Learning Target I can represent repeated multiplication by using exponents and through guided notes activity and in-class practice.

We will do our best to stay in-line with this daily schedule, but it will not always be possible. Mastery will take precedence over speed.  As we begin mastering these valuable skills your student should be studying math and doing homework each night to ensure success in the classroom.

Learning Target For the Week in Math: students will solve real-world problems involving rates and ratios through completion of the unit #2 study guide and through the unit exam.

Math for Week of 11/4/2019:

Monday, November 4 – Ratio Tables Lesson, Homework: Take home quiz and ratio pennant activity
Tuesday, November 5 – No school due to election, please study and work on homework (Unit #2 Final this Friday)
Wednesday, November 6 – Ratio Table in-class activities and study guide, Homework: study guide
Thursday, November 7 – Study Guide and Review for Unit #2 Final. If students complete the study guide, they may use a laptop to play a Quizizz Review Game. Students who have not completed the study guide will work with Mrs. Mickus or another teacher to do so.
Friday, November 8 – I will be collecting all homework, Unit #2 Final (One class period to complete)
Student notebooks graded every Friday, this week should see: Ratio Tables Guided Notes and Take Home Quiz

Math 6 Learning Target for the Week: I can calculate the Percent of a Number by applying the rules for this calculation taught in class and through completing the Percent of a Number class activities. 

Math: Week of October 28, 2019

Monday, October 28 – Notes covering Percent of a Number in class. Homework will cover this standard.

Tuesday, October 29 – In-Class activity covering Percent of a Number. Homework will cover this standard, as well as review of prior topics.

Wednesday, October 30 – UTP quiz covering unit rate, ratios, and percent of a number. Student activity assigned based on results of quiz data.

Thursday, October 31 – Notes covering Percent Change in class. Friday, November 1 – Notebooks graded, In-class activity over percent change (Plan may vary based on student understanding of the standards) .

Math Homework Due November 1st!

Big 20 Math 6 October 28 (1)

Complete 5 problems each night.
Please show all of your work using the front and back of the paper.
You may use scratch paper and attach it.
Refer to your notebooks for help.
Due on Friday, October 18, 2019
Do not forget to write your name, date and class period.

Always remember to bring your calculator, notebook, and pencil!

Week of 10/21/2019 Schedule:

Learning Target:

I can solve real-world problems involving unit rate, unit price, and constant speed by taking guided notes.
I can apply my knowledge of unit rate through an in-class activity solving problems with my peers.

Monday, October 21 – Rates/Ratios Review Class
Homework goes out (find it in the resource tab or the link below).
Tuesday, October 22 – Rates/Ratios Quiz
In-class review activity
Wednesday, October 23 – Quiz (completion if necessary)
In-class activity
CLIMB Math Remediation for students from 3:15 to 4:15 p.m.
Thursday, October 24 – Quiz corrections
Best Buy Activity
Friday, October 25 – Rates Maze Activity

We will fit in a RACES Writing in Math Activity at some point this week. The students are doing really well writing in math and I look forward to reading their next responses.

Math Homework Due October 25th!

Complete 5 problems each night.
Refer to your notebooks for help.
Due on Friday, October 18, 2019

Always remember to bring your calculator!